Wednesday 19 October 2011

#23 My Famous Coffee Cake

Morning everyone! Its that halfway point of the week, woohoo! Now to get back into the swing of things I thought I'd do a foodie post. Now everyone has their favourite thing they like to cook or bake, that one reciepe that the whole family loves and demands! Mine happens to be Coffee Cake, which is unusual for me as I don't drink coffee. However, this recipie is Lush and the cake is so moist, so I thought I'd share it with you. Whats everyones fav thing to make and bake!? :-)


This particular cake was for my boyfriends birthday as again its his favourite, and I simply put chocolate fingers all around the edge and sprinkled on some chocolate stars which are available in Tescos and probably most fod stores.

Ingredients For The Cake
  • 150g Caster Sugar
  • 150g Butter or Margarine
  • 150g Self Raising Flour
  • 3 Eggs
  • 1 1/2 tsp Baking Powder - I would say that this is optional on preference
  • 1 tbsp Hot Boiling Water
  • 1 tbsp Instant Coffee - add more if you like it stronger. I always like 1 1/2 tbsp
For The Icing Sugar
  • 225g Icing Sugar
  • 100g Butter or Margarine
  • 1 1/2 tbsp Instant Coffee
  • 1tbsp Hot Boiling Water
Recipie
  1. Set oven to 160C/ 325 F/ gas 3. Grease two sandwich tins, I don't use any particular measurements just any two tins I find.
  2. Beat the Sugar and Butter until pale and fluffy
  3. Whisk the eggs in a bowl or mug and add it bit by bit to the sugar and butter mixture. Add 1tbsp of the flour each time you've added some of the egg, make sure you dont use all the flour!  (and yes it does mean that you have to weight it all out first, which can be a pain)
  4. Add the rest of the flour and baking powder by gently folding it in the the mixture
  5. Disolve the coffee in the boiling water and add to the mixture continuing to fold. Once everything is mixed well seperate into the cake tins and bake for 30 minutes
  6. Whilst the cakes are cooking cream the Butter and Icing Sugar together until light and fluffy
  7. Disolve the Coffee into the boiling water and add to the icing, make sure you dont over do it on the water otherwise the icing will become very runny. If this does happen add some more Icing Sugar until the icing thickens
  8. If you feel the icing needs it leave it in the fridge until the cake is cooked just to thicken it, but I find that I rarely have to do this.
  9. Once the cake is cooked and has been left to cool add the icing into the middle to form the filling, and place it on top of the cake. If you have enough you could place it around the side of the cake. Decorate with anything you wish, the tradition is Walnuts but I'm allergic to nuts so grated chocolate or anything of you choice will be just as good.
Sorry if that was very long winded and complicated it's hard to write from memory. If you have any questions either email me, find me on twitter at HannahLCarberry or just leave me a comment.
Happy baking, and have a great rest of the week!

2 comments:

  1. I may have to give this ago looks Delicious. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW U baked this? WELL DONE SWEETIE!!!
    I think its really well done and i never think its easy to bake a cake. How sweeet to have baked it for ur bf. He's a lucky man.

    xo,
    issatchieu.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Blog Design by Bonjour Belle Designs